Bluehost Web Hosting Help
How to migrate an IMAP email account.
Migrating IMAP email from one server to another.
Bluehost servers support IMAP. The other server/host you are pulling emails from, or taking emails to, also needs to support it.
You will Need:
- The password for the email account you are wanting to migrate.
- An IMAP-capable local email client. Most email clients like Thunderbird, Outlook, and Apple Mail, will support IMAP email accounts.
- The same email account needs to be at both locations. So on the new server you need to create the same email address with the same spelling and capitalization.
- The new email address needs to have the same password. (After you are done migrating it is advisable to change your password).
- Now comes the interesting part. Because you will be referencing two servers, you need to create two email accounts in your email client(This is Thunderbird, Outlook, Apple Mail, etc).
- They will use the same email address.
- They will use the same password.
- They will be configured the same(using IMAP)
- The incoming server (IMAP server) is where things will get different. For your older server, put in the IP address for it. For the new server, put in the domain name. (This will help differentiate between the two and avoid confusion).If you are stuck with having the same domain name for both locations, then please use the IP address instead.
Make certain they both connect. Then you can drag and drop messages between the accounts. Please give it time to move them over. If you have thousands of emails and/or large files or attachments, it will take some time.
Recommended Help Content
IMAP Connection Limit
Can I make multiple IMAP connections to the same email address?
Email Account Setup
This article explains the steps to set up an email account on your domain.
Email Account Setup
Learn how to create an email account associated with your domain name
Related Help Content
Subscribing to Mail Folders
Instructions on how to resubscribe to the IMAP folders
Email Application Setup - Outlook 2013 for Windows
How to setup an email account using Microsoft Outlook 2013
Email Management - Account-Level Email Filters
Account level Filters.
Email Application Setup - Outlook 2007 for Windows
How to setup an email account using Microsoft Outlook 2007
Email Application Setup - Outlook 2010 for Windows
How to setup an email account using Microsoft Outlook 2010
Webmail and Email Applications
So, you want to access your email, eh? You're going to need an email client for that. But what is an email client? Email clients come in two varieties: webmail and email applications.
Email Application Setup - Outlook Express
Configuring your email client: Outlook Express.
Email Client Setup: Outlook 2003
Configuring your email client: Outlook 2003