Bluehost Web Hosting Help
How to Copy or Rename a Database
How to Copy a Database
To copy a database you will need to export the original database, and then import it into a new database.
How to Export the Original Database
- Go to phpMyAdmin
- Click on the existing database on the left sidebar
- Click Export at the top
- Click the "Save on server in the directory" checkbox, and click Go
- This will save a .sql file to a temporary folder on your account.
How to Import onto a New Database
- Create a new database in cPanel
- Go to phpMyAdmin
- Click the new database name in the top left
- Click Import in the main area of phpMyAdmin
- Click the radio button "Select from the web server upload directory /home/USERNAME/tmp/:"
- Select the database you imported earlier from the drop down box and click Go
For security reasons, it's best to upload your database to the
/home/USERNAMEsection of your account. (Replace USERNAME with your account username.)
Renaming a Database
Unfortunately, the only way to rename a database is to follow the above direction and import the database to a new, empty database with the desired name.
Recommended Help Content
Rename database tables in phpMyAdmin
This article will show you how to rename a database table in phpMyAdmin.
How to Copy a Database Using PhpMyAdmin
A guide to duplicating a MySQL database using phpMyAdmin
Managing Your DB Using phpmyadmin
A repository of information on how you can manage your database by using the phpMyAdmin interface.
Related Help Content
Import a MySQL Database using phpMyAdmin
How do I import a backup of my database (.sql file) using phpMyAdmin?
Dropping Columns from a Database Table Using PhpMyAdmin
Instructions on deleting tables from your database using phpMyAdmin
Searching a database in PhpMyAdmin
Step by step directions on how you can search your database using phpMyAdmin
Dropping columns from a database table using PhpMyAdmin
A tutorial on how to perminately delete columns from your mySQL database using phpMyAdmin
MySQL Database Restore
How to Restore your MySQL Database?
How to Add Tables to a DB in PhpMyAdmin
Guidance on adding tables to your mySQL database in phpMyAdmin
MySQL Export (.sql file) with PhpMyAdmin
How to export your database in phpMyAdmin..
MySQL Repair and Optimize Tables in phpMyAdmin
How to repair and optimize your database using phpMyAdmin: