Bluehost Web Hosting Help
Adding a column to a db table in phpMyAdmin
Adding a column to a database table in phpMyAdmin
This article demonstrates how to add a column to a database table in phpMyAdmin.
Begin by accessing phpMyAdmin via cPanel.
- Select the database you wish to work with (listed in the left column when you first access phpMyAdmin).
- If your table does not exist yet, add a table.
- Click on the table you want to work with, which will take you to the list of columns in the table.
- Underneath the list of columns, where is says "add 1 column(s)" click the Go button to add 1 column.
- Define the column by entering the following information:
- Name the Column.
- Select the Type of data the column will hold. Some common types include:
- INT = Integer (a number without a decimal point)
- CHAR = Characters (can hold text up to a specific length)
- VARCHAR = Variable Length Characters (a text field that is not a fixed width).
- TEXT = For holding large amounts of text.
- DATE = Can only hold dates.
- DATETIME = Can hold both a date and a time.
- (See the MySQL Data Types article for more options.)
- Define the Length/Values if required. For example, the CHAR type will require you to specify the maximum number of characters allowed.
- The other fields are optional.
- Click on the Save button when complete.
If successful, a message will appear stating your table was altered successfully and your new column will appear in the list of columns.
Recommended Help Content
Dropping columns from a database table using PhpMyAdmin
A tutorial on how to perminately delete columns from your mySQL database using phpMyAdmin
Rename database tables in phpMyAdmin
This article will show you how to rename a database table in phpMyAdmin.
Modifying table columns - phpMyAdmin
A step by step guide on how to manipulate data in your mySQL tables using phpMyAdmin
Related Help Content
How to Copy a Database Using PhpMyAdmin
A guide to duplicating a MySQL database using phpMyAdmin
Managing Your DB Using phpmyadmin
A repository of information on how you can manage your database by using the phpMyAdmin interface.
Import a MySQL Database using phpMyAdmin
How do I import a backup of my database (.sql file) using phpMyAdmin?
Searching a database in PhpMyAdmin
Step by step directions on how you can search your database using phpMyAdmin
How to Add Tables to a DB in PhpMyAdmin
Guidance on adding tables to your mySQL database in phpMyAdmin
How to Create and Delete MySQL Databases and Users
This article will explain MySQL database and user creation and deletion, and explain how to assign a user to a database.
Running SQL queries in PhpMyAdmin
A guide on performing a standard SQL query using the phpMyAdmin interface
MySQL Database Restore
How to Restore your MySQL Database?