Bluehost Web Hosting Help
Adding Favorites icon (Favicon) to site
How can I add a favorites icon (favicon) to my site.
Step 1 - Find an Image
Step 2 - Covert the Picture to an Icon
- Most web sites use a smaller version of their logo or similar.
- The main consideration is to keep your icon simple and clear at such a small size.
- Most browser interfaces (the top tool bar containing the browser buttons) can display 256 colors, but it's best to use the Windows 16 colors.
Step 3 - Including the icon in your web pages
- We recommend using DynamicDrive (www.DynamicDrive.com).
Step 4 - Testing your Icon
- Publish the icon into the root directory of your web site.
This is the location Internet Explorer will automatically look for your favicon when a visitor bookmarks your site.
- Help the browser find your icon by including in the html, within the <head> tag, the following: <link rel="shortcut icon" href="http://www.your-web-site-name.com/favicon.ico">.
Preferably nearer the closing </head> tag, because more important information, such as your meta tags , should come earlier.
- Save your web page and publish it.
If you want to create different icons for different pages, simply call them something other than favicon.ico, but still retaining the .ico suffix.
Link to them in your pages in the same way as above, just changing the href location for the different icons.
- Open Internet Explorer (version 5 or above) and bookmark your page.
- Determine if your icon stands out from other bookmarked web sites with favorites icons.
- If necessary, re-edit your icon and publish it again.
However, you will need to remove the bookmark (Favorites > Organize Favorites, select your bookmark and click "Delete") and delete your temporary Internet files and page history (Tools > Internet Options, tab "General" and click "Delete Files" under "Temporary Internet Files" and click "Clear History" under "History").
This may take a few minutes if you haven't done this recently.
- Close your browser and re-open it, bookmark your page again to check the new version of your icon.
- Repeat until you're satisfied your icon is suitably eye-catching.
Recommended Help Content
How to edit my address bar icon or favicon.ico?
Editing the address bar icon or favicon.ico
Favicon not showing up in IE
When browsing in Internet Explorer, my favicon.ico doesn't load.
What is a Fav Icon and How do I change it?
Related Help Content
Change WordPress URL's With WordPress Tools
This article will explain how to change the Site URL or Home URL setting in WordPress. This may be useful if you have moved your WordPress site or are planning to move your WordPress site.
Basic Site Security Checklist
What can I do to increase my Site Security while hosting with Bluehost?
Upgrade CPU and Memory on CloudSites
This article explains how to add CPU and memory upgrades to a CloudSites account.
Backup and Restore with Site Backup Pro
How to restore individual files or folders with the Site Backup & Restore tool
Restoring Email Messages using the Site Backup Pro
How to restore Email Messages the Site Backup Pro tool
Reseller - Add a package
How to create a package on your Reseller account.
FTP - Uploading the website
How do I upload my web site?
New Account Timeline
How long will it take to get my new site online?