Bluehost Web Hosting Help
How to setup an MX Record
MX Records specify the server that will handle your email. This article will show you how to modify an MX Record using the DNS Zone Editor.
Accessing the DNS Zone Editor
- Log into the cPanel at www.BlueHost.com or login.BlueHost.com.
- Scroll down to the DNS Section.
- Click the DNS Zone Editor.
Creating an MX Record
- If you have multiple domains on your account make sure the correct domain name is selected from the Domain drop-down menu.
- Host Record: Enter the Host Record you would like to use.
- TTL: Unless otherwise instructed its best to leave the Time To Live at 14400.
- Type: From the drop down menu choose "MX".
- Points To: Enter the Domain Name that will be handing the email. Note: This can not be an IP Address, you will need to use a Fully Qualified Domain.
- Priority: The exact number is not as important as the order that you enter. The server with the lowest number will be the main or default mail server.
- Click the Add Record button to create the new MX Record.
Recommended Help Content
DNS Record Definitions
What are the commonly used DNS entries? (updated 169 days ago)
DNS MX Record Modification
I would like to change my MX Record so I can use a mail server with another provider. (updated 107 days ago)
What is an A Record?
Definition of an A Record (updated 168 days ago)
Related Help Content
What is a TXT Record
Definition of a TXT Record (updated 1129 days ago)
What is an SRV Record
Definition of an SRV Record (updated 1118 days ago)
What is an AAAA Record
A definition of AAAA Records (updated 1118 days ago)
Edit Reseller DNS Zone Template
Explains how to edit the DNS Zone Timplate. (updated 280 days ago)
How to Modify Your DNS Records
How Do I Add/Edit DNS settings for my cNAME, ARecord and TXT entries? (updated 171 days ago)
What is an MX Entry
Definition of an MX Entry (updated 1118 days ago)
Wildcard Subdomains or DNS
Do you support wildcard subdomains or wildcard DNS entries? (updated 1065 days ago)
Pointing domain to Wix's service
How I do point my domain to my Wix account? (updated 1462 days ago)