Bluehost Web Hosting Help
How to create an FTP Account
This article will show you how to setup an FTP account and how to use the account.
- Access the FTP Manager
- Create a new FTP account
- General FTP Connection Settings
- Application Specific Settings
- Using SFTP
Access the FTP Manager
These steps will explain how to access the FTP Manager.
- Login to your Bluehost cPanel
- Click the "hosting" link at the top of the account.
- Click the "cpanel" link at the top.
- In the "File Management" section click on "FTP Manager"
Create a new FTP account
Once you have accessed the FTP Manager these steps will explain show to create an FTP account.
- Under the "ADD FTP Account" section enter a Username:
- Please note that the username will automatically have your domain added to the end. Example: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please note the password strength indicator must show 20 or better before the password will be accepted.
- This will be filled in automatically with the username you entered.
- This will correspond to a directory on your account.
- If the directory does not exist it will be created.
- When this FTP account connects they will be taken to this direcory.
- The FTP account will not be able to access anything outside the this directory.
- Entering "/" will give this FTP account full access to your files.
General FTP Connection Settings
FTP connections normally require 4 entries to successfully connect and transfer files.
- Domain name or IP Address
- Port (Usually port 21)
Note: This information is given when setting up a new FTP account, the default user was created as you signed up and was emailed with your sign up email.
Application Specific Settings
The following articles are instructions for recommended FTP applications.
For a more secure FTP client upload, use SFTP (Secure File Transfer Protocol port 22)
You will need to enable SSH/Shell access on your account. If you do not already have SSH/Shell access, Click Here to learn how.
Note: Only your main FTP/cPanel username can be used for SFTP access. FTP accounts created using the FTP Accounts tool will not work.
Recommended Help Content
How do I password protect folders?
This tutorial will show you how you can password protect parts of your website by password protecting the folder(s) on your account. (updated 299 days ago)
MySQL Database Access Outside of cPanel
How do I grant permissions to cPanel for my MySQL database administrator without giving them the domain password? (updated 2116 days ago)
Publisher 2007 Upload Instructions
How do I publish my website using Microsoft Publisher 2007 (updated 1838 days ago)
Related Help Content
How can I connect and upload via NVU?
Publish with NVU site builder (updated 2086 days ago)
How do I log into cPanel securely?
How do I log into cPanel securely? (updated 2125 days ago)
How do I Access My Account Control Panel? (updated 89 days ago)
How to Reset Your Login Password
How do I change my Control Panel password? (updated 22 days ago)
Managing Your Email Accounts
Learn how to create an email account associated with your domain name (updated 678 days ago)
FTP Setup and Publish with Web Easy Pro
What are the publish settings for Web Easy Professional ? (updated 2115 days ago)
FTP - Uploading the website
How do I upload my web site? (updated 525 days ago)
This article explains the different password types for your bluehost account. (updated 20 days ago)