Bluehost Web Hosting Help
What is an AAAA Record
An AAAA record points a domain or subdomain to an IPv6 address.
The AAAA record is similar to the A record, but it allows you to point the domain to an Ipv6 address. More information on IPv6 can be found at http://ipv6.com/.
- Zone File: This is where all the DNS records are stored for a domain.
- Host Record: This is the domain or subdomain you wish to use. The @ symbol is used to indicate the root domain itself. In our example the Host Record 'ftp' would be for the subdomain ftp.google.com and '@' would be google.com itself.
- Points to: This is the destination server that the domain or subdomain is sending the traffic to.
- TTL: The 'time to live' value indicates the amount of time the record is cached by a DNS Server, such as your Internet service provider. The default (and lowest accepted) value is 14400 seconds (4 hours). You do not normally need to modify this value.
- Action: This allows you to modify or remove existing records.
- Weight: This is similar to priority, as it controls the order in which multiple records are used. Records are grouped with other records that have the same Priority value. As with MX Entries, lower numbers are used before higher numbers.
- Port: This is used by the server or computer to process traffic to specific services, ensuring that all traffic comes through the door that it's expected on.
- Target: This is the destination that the record is sending the traffic to. This record would send traffic from service.example.com to listerning.otherexample.com over port 5060. SRV records generally require advanced knowledge of server administration to use.
Recommended Help Content
DNS Record Definitions
What are the commonly used DNS entries? (updated 209 days ago)
What is an A Record?
Definition of an A Record (updated 208 days ago)
How to setup an MX Record
How to use the DNS Zone Editor to create a new MX Record (updated 1404 days ago)
Related Help Content
What is a TXT Record
Definition of a TXT Record (updated 1169 days ago)
What is an SRV Record
Definition of an SRV Record (updated 1158 days ago)
How to Modify Your DNS Records
How Do I Add/Edit DNS settings for my cNAME, ARecord and TXT entries? (updated 28 days ago)
DNS MX Record Modification
I would like to change my MX Record so I can use a mail server with another provider. (updated 147 days ago)
Edit Reseller DNS Zone Template
Explains how to edit the DNS Zone Timplate. (updated 319 days ago)
What is an MX Entry
Definition of an MX Entry (updated 1157 days ago)
What is a CNAME
Definition of a CNAME (updated 216 days ago)
Wildcard Subdomains or DNS
Do you support wildcard subdomains or wildcard DNS entries? (updated 1105 days ago)