Bluehost Web Hosting Help
What is an A Record?
A record (Address Record) points a domain or subdomain to an IP address. For example, you can use it for store.website.com or blog.website.com and point it to where you have your store. This is a common practice for people who use Amazon, eBay, Tumblr, etc.
DNS records are used to control the location of a resource on the Internet. As an example, an A Record is used to point a logical domain name, such as "google.com", to the IP address of Google's hosting server, "18.104.22.168".
These records point traffic from example.com (indicated by @) and ftp.example.com to the IP address 22.214.171.124. They also point localhost.example.com to the server that the domain is hosted on. This allows the end user to type in a human-readable domain, while the computer can continue to work with numbers.
- Zone File:
- This is where all the DNS records are stored for a domain.
- Host Record:
- This is the domain or subdomain you wish to use. The @ symbol is used to indicate the root domain itself. In our example the Host Record 'ftp' would be for the subdomain ftp.google.com and '@' would be google.com itself.
- Points to:
- This is the destination server that the domain or subdomain is sending the traffic to.
- The 'time to live' value indicates the amount of time the record is cached by a DNS Server, such as your Internet service provider. The default (and lowest accepted) value is 14400 seconds (4 hours). You do not normally need to modify this value.
- This allows you to modify or remove existing records.
Recommended Help Content
DNS Record Definitions
What are the commonly used DNS entries? (updated 76 days ago)
How to setup an MX Record
How to use the DNS Zone Editor to create a new MX Record (updated 1272 days ago)
What is a TXT Record
Definition of a TXT Record (updated 1036 days ago)
Related Help Content
What is an SRV Record
Definition of an SRV Record (updated 1025 days ago)
What is an AAAA Record
A definition of AAAA Records (updated 1025 days ago)
Edit Reseller DNS Zone Template
Explains how to edit the DNS Zone Timplate. (updated 187 days ago)
DNS MX Record Modification
I would like to change my MX Record so I can use a mail server with another provider. (updated 14 days ago)
What is a CNAME
Definition of a CNAME (updated 84 days ago)
Wildcard Subdomains or DNS
Do you support wildcard subdomains or wildcard DNS entries? (updated 972 days ago)
What is an MX Entry
Definition of an MX Entry (updated 1025 days ago)
How to Modify Your DNS Records
How Do I Add/Edit DNS settings for my cNAME, ARecord and TXT entries? (updated 78 days ago)