Bluehost Web Hosting Help
How To Assign A Domain Name - A Record, Name Servers, HTML Page
Once you have registered your domain name, you will need to assign it. This guide will show you how to assign a domain name to your hosting account.
In order to work correctly on your Bluehost account, your domain will need to point to your hosting account either via Nameservers or the A Record. The Nameservers or A Record should be pointed to Bluehost prior to assigning the domain to minimize update time.
Access the Domains tab
- Login to your Bluehost Control Panel.
- Click the Domains tab from the side navigation menu to the left.
Assigning the Domain Name
- Click Assign from the submenu.
- Choose if you will assign a new domain to your account, or one that is already associated with your account.
- If you are assigning a new domain you must verify ownership of the domain name, there are three ways this can be done:
- Name Servers: Update your Name Servers to ns1.Bluehost.com and ns2.Bluehost.com.
- A Record: Point the A record to the IP address indicated on the screen.
- Create HTML Page: Create an HTML page on your existing host containing the case-sensitive text provided.
- EPP Code: This will not transfer your domain name, but use the EPP code to verify ownership.
Choose Addon vs. Parked
- Addon Domain: An addon domain name functions as its own domain and website, separate from your primary domain.
- Parked Domain: A parked domain name will load the same website as your primary domain.
- Unassigned Domain: An unassigned domain is attached to your account but does not point to a website or have a dedicated folder. Choose this option if you're not ready to host the domain yet. You can assign the domain as addon or parked when you're ready.
- If you selected Addon domain, choose the folder in your account that the domain will point to.
- Choose a Subdomain. The subdomain is only used by the Control Panel for the domain assignment. You will still access your domain name directly.
- Click the "Add Domain" button at the bottom of the page to assign the domain.
- Once complete you should see the domain is listed in the Domains tab.
Here are a couple of reasons why you may not be able to assign a domain to your account:
- DNS records can take a while to propagate. If you changed the name servers or A record, please give it at least 30 minutes, but keep in mind that it could take up to 24 hours.
- Is the domain already associated with another Bluehost account? You'll need to remove it from the other account before you can add it to this one. If you don't own the account the domain is assigned to, please contact the account owner for assistance.
If you continue to experience issues assigning your domain, please reach out to our Support Team or email us at domains@Bluehost.com.
Recommended Help Content
What Is The Difference Between Addon Domain, Parked Domain & Subdomain?
What is the difference between parked domains and addon domains?
Parked Domain Definition
What are parked domains?
How To Unassign A Domain Name
This article will explain how to un-assign a domain name from your account.
Related Help Content
Unable to Assign Domain via Domain Manager
I tried to assign a domain through the Domain Manager, but it does not allow me to. What is wrong?
About Domain Names
You need two things to have a successful website and professional email: a domain registration and a hosting account.
Restrict Access to Addon Domains through the Main Domain
I do not want to see addon.maindomain.com. How do I do that?
How to Setup Multiple Domains Pointing to the Same Directory
Can I have multiple domains pointing to my site or to a directory on my site?
FTP for Addon Domains and Subdomains
How do I FTP to my addon domains and subdomains without interfering with my main account.
Restrict subdomain access to addon domains
How do I stop people from being able to use the addon domain as a subdomain of the primary domain?
What Is An Addon Domain And How Does It Work?
What is an Addon domain?
Where to Upload Files for an Addon Domain
I have setup a pointed/addon domain, where should I upload the files for this domain?