Bluehost Web Hosting Help
Moving Hosting and Minimizing Downtime
How do I sign up with the least amount of downtime?
This is fairly easy to accomplish.
Most important is that you do NOT notify your current hosting company until after your website is hosted from your Bluehost account.Here is a step by step guide:
- You need a hosting account with Bluehost.
- After the account has been setup, you will receive an account setup email within an hour or two. You can then upload your files and create your email accounts.
- The Welcome email will contain the Name Servers (NS) info, NS1.BlueHost.com and NS2.BlueHost.com , to point the domain to our hosting. Contact the registrar of the domain to accomplish this and wait until the changes have propagated (usually 24 - 48 hours). You will be sent a transfer email once you sign up that will provide you with our name servers.
- After propagation, your domain should be pointing to your new hosting account with Bluehost and your website as well as emails should still be up and running without any problems.
- Let a few days pass by just to make sure your domain points to your Bluehost hosting account everywhere in the world. You can now cancel your old hosting account with your old hosting company / email provider.
Recommended Help Content
Moving website contents to Bluehost
I need to transfer my website from my old host to Bluehost, but I do not know how to do it without losing files or mail. (updated 160 days ago)
Transferring Domain to another Registrar
What steps are necessary if I decide to transfer a domain to another registrar? (updated 1064 days ago)
How to Change your Name Servers
Transfer Domain Registration: When a domain registration is transferred to us, we must register the domain name for a minimum of one (1) year. We only accept registrations for the .com, .net, .org, . (updated 177 days ago)
Related Help Content
Registration Transfer Step 2/4
I am trying to transfer a domain(s) from my current registrar to bluehost. When I fill out the transfer form I cannot get beyond step 2/4. There does not seem to be any "submit" or "next" (updated 2201 days ago)
Pushing Website from old host to BlueHost.com
How to Transfer hosted files from old host to BlueHost.com via ssh. Your old host must have SSH access to perform this move. Using SSH to transfer files to Bluehost (updated 2173 days ago)
Domain Registry Transfer to Bluehost
What if I do not want to or cannot transfer my registration to Bluehost? (updated 1387 days ago)
Icelandic Domains Cannot Point Nameservers to BlueHost.com
ISNIC is giving me the following error about my domain: Unable to transfer zone DOMAIN.IS from ns1.BlueHost.com (188.8.131.52) Unable to transfer zone DOMAIN.IS from ns2. (updated 1387 days ago)
How to Transfer a Domain
How to transfer a domain name you have registered to us. (updated 218 days ago)
Transferring Your Domain to Bluehost
How do I transfer my domain's registration to Bluehost? Is it required to transfer my domain's registration to Bluehost? (updated 187 days ago)
Why did my domain transfer fail?
Why does a domain transfer fail and what can you do about it. (updated 658 days ago)
Transferring away from Bluehost
How to transfer a domain name that is registered with us to another registrar. (updated 121 days ago)