Bluehost Web Hosting Help
Email not sending from Client or Webmail
If you are trying to send out emails from multiple email accounts and are failing to send from both webmail and third party email clients; there are several things that could be causing this:
- The maximum emails per hour has been exceeded. This can be caused by forwarders or by mailing lists. The default is 150 per hour. Feel free to contact us via Phone or Live Chat if you would like this increased. Please include detailed information regarding why you need the limit increased.
- This can be caused if one of the accounts has reached or exceeded its Disk Quota for the email account. This can, at times, cause other email addresses on the account to not be able to send email. There will also be problems when sending an email from an online external email client such as Hotmail, Yahoo, or Gmail to that email address. The email will bounce back as undeliverable.
- Exim, the local MTA (mail transfer agent), could be down on the server.
- Our mail proxy servers could have their email queues backed up. When this happens, please be patient as there will be a delay of 3-4 hours before the email is delivered.
Potential Tell tale Signs
- If the email is returning a 550 verification failed or sender verify failed error, when sending from that email address and other email addresses on the account, then it could be related to one account exceeding its quota or related to authentication of the SMTP server from the email client. If you get the error below, from the webmail client SquirrelMail, then it's due to the mailbox quota reaching its limit.
- Sending an email inside webmail to the email address which has the quota exceeded will result in a bounceback error.
- When sending an email to the email address from an external client (such as from hotmail), a bounceback message will arrive saying:
- When logging into cPanel, the upper left hand corner will list a warning for each email account that has met its quota.
Delivery to the following recipients failed.
- If there appears to be no emails, yet the account is showing a Disk Quota, you can follow this article to correct the problem:Change the Mailbox (Size) Quota. or you can go to Email Accounts and either delete emails to decrease the Disk Space size of what has been stored, or you can increase the Disk Quota storage by selecting Change Quota.
- For errors such as Error: 503 valid RCPT command must precede DATA. Please see our article: Sending Emails Generates Error: 503 valid RCPT command must precede DATA.
Recommended Help Content
Email Accounts - Change the Mailbox (Size) Quota
Where do I Change my Mailbox (Size) Quota? How do I Increase or Decrease Mailbox (Storage) Quota? (updated 714 days ago)
Email Is Not Reaching To All I Send
I send an email to one person and then do a carbon copy (Cc) to multiple other people. Not everyone is receiving the email, even when I try using blind carbon copy (Bcc). (updated 785 days ago)
I cannot send email from Outlook 2003, receive is working.
You can try sending the email on port 26, which is an alternate SMTP port and see if that works for you. For outlook: (updated 833 days ago)
Related Help Content
Disabling Microsoft Outlook Third Party Plugins
Microsoft Outlook supports third party plugins (aka add-ins) to allow for such things as email virus scanning. Such plugins can cause problems, such as causing Outlook to time-out when trying to retri (updated 2158 days ago)
Sending Emails Fail
When setting up an account in Outlook or Outlook Express I get an error saying unable to connect to my SMTP server. (updated 1322 days ago)
Email Accounts - Add, Delete and Manage
Where do I Add, Delete and Manage Email Accounts? (updated 1475 days ago)
. Click the SquirrelMail logo. This takes you to the main interface screen for SquirrelMail. Click 'INBOX' from the folders on the left. Now, you can read the emails you've received. Here is the place (updated 1601 days ago)
Sending Emails Generates Error: 503 valid RCPT command must precede DATA.
Why do I receive error "503 valid RCPT command must precede DATA" when attempting to send email? (updated 1861 days ago)
Cannot Send but can Receive Email
Explanantion as to what causes this the happen and how to fix it. (updated 124 days ago)
How to log into Webmail
How to access your email accounts from your web browser. Our webmail applications make a nice alternative to a desktop email client. (updated 137 days ago)
Email Returned Error: Speed Limit Exceeded
Why do my email messages keep getting returned? (updated 125 days ago)