Bluehost Web Hosting Help
Domain Registry Transfer to Another Person
To transfer the ownership of your domain to another person, you will need to disable (pause) whois privacy, unlock your domain and retrieve the EPP code. You will also need to update the domain whois information to the new owner and give them the EPP code.
Disabling Whois Privacy
- Login to your cPanel.
- Choose the Domains link at the top of the page. This will take you to the Domain Manager.
- Select the domain that you wish to modify from the Domain List (on the left). The right side will populate with tabs.
- Click the Privacy tab (on the right side).
- Click the button that says to pause domain privacy.
- Next click the Contacts tab. This is where you will update the contact information for the domain.
- Select Registrant, Admin, and Billing (or only the section you want to update). Then update the contact information and click Update Contact Information.
Unlocking the Domain
- Following the above steps, you should still be in the Domain Manager with your domain selected.
- Click the Lock tab.
- Click Unlock Your Domain.
Obtaining the EPP code
- In the Domain Manager, select the Transfer EPP tab.
- Copy the EPP Code. This is the key to allow the domain transfer.
Once this is done, you will need to contact the new owner and provide them the EPP code. Let them know they can now request the domain transfer via any Domain registrar of their choosing and setup domain hosting in their name.
Please note: If they are transferring the domain out of our system, the company they are moving to will need to obtain a new whois query. Most companies cache whois information so they won't have the updated information and see that the domain is unlocked and ready to transfer.
Recommended Help Content
Domain Dispute Policy
As the registrar, we will assist in the following domain dispute, providing the specific criteria is met. The domain has been moved without the domain owner's consent by means of the password or EPP c (updated 142 days ago)
Why did my domain transfer fail?
Why does a domain transfer fail and what can you do about it. (updated 593 days ago)
Registration Transfer Step 2/4
I am trying to transfer a domain(s) from my current registrar to bluehost. When I fill out the transfer form I cannot get beyond step 2/4. There does not seem to be any "submit" or "next" (updated 2135 days ago)
Related Help Content
How to Transfer a Domain
How to transfer a domain name you have registered to us. (updated 153 days ago)
Transferring Your Domain to Bluehost
How do I transfer my domain's registration to Bluehost? Is it required to transfer my domain's registration to Bluehost? (updated 121 days ago)
Transferring away from Bluehost
How to transfer a domain name that is registered with us to another registrar. (updated 56 days ago)
Domain Registry Transfer to Bluehost
What if I do not want to or cannot transfer my registration to Bluehost? (updated 1322 days ago)
How to Change your Name Servers
Transfer Domain Registration: When a domain registration is transferred to us, we must register the domain name for a minimum of one (1) year. We only accept registrations for the .com, .net, .org, . (updated 111 days ago)
Transferring Domain to another Registrar
What steps are necessary if I decide to transfer a domain to another registrar? (updated 999 days ago)
EPP (Auth) Code
I need an EPP authorization code to transfer my domain to another registrar. (updated 1108 days ago)
Icelandic Domains Cannot Point Nameservers to BlueHost.com
ISNIC is giving me the following error about my domain: Unable to transfer zone DOMAIN.IS from ns1.BlueHost.com (126.96.36.199) Unable to transfer zone DOMAIN.IS from ns2. (updated 1322 days ago)