Bluehost Web Hosting Help
FTP Setup Using Filezilla
Among the various free FTP programs available to download on the internet for Mac OS X, Windows, or Linux, Bluehost recommends Filezilla. It can be downloaded free of charge from http://www.filezilla-project.org.
- A Bluehost hosting service.
If you do not yet have a Bluehost hosting account please signup here.
- A computer running Microsoft Windows, Linux, or Mac OS X 10.5 or newer.
- The free FTP software, which you can download at FileZilla.
You Will Need:
After you have downloaded and installed FileZilla, double click the icon to launch the program. From the File menu open the Site Manager
Enter the connection information for your FTP account
- Host: Enter your Domain Name if your nameservers are pointed to ns1.BlueHost.com and ns2.BlueHost.com or server IP address. e.g. example.com or 127.0.0.1
- Port: 21
- Protocol: FTP - File Transfer Protocol
- Encryption: Use plain FTP
As of FileZilla version 3.10, the default settings and QuickConnect bar now utilize TLS. Be sure to adjust this to "Use plain FTP"
- Logon Type: Normal
- User: Your FTP username can be found by visiting the FTP Accounts section of the cPanel. Please note that the username may contain "@domain.com" where domain.com is your primary domain name. e.g. examplec or email@example.com
- Password: This is the password that was created with your FTP account. If using the "Special FTP" account it will match your cPanel password.
When the above steps are complete, you will be connected to the server (You will automatically be connected to the folder specified in the "Path" on your FTP Account Page).
If you experience problems try connecting by using the IP address of your account as the host. This information is located under the stats section on the left of the cPanel page.
Recommended Help Content
FTP Setup Using Dreamweaver 8
How do I setup Dreamweaver 8 for FTP? (updated 1203 days ago)
FTP Setup Using CuteFTP Home Version 8.2
How do I setup CuteFTP 8.2 for FTP? (updated 1203 days ago)
Among the various free FTP programs available to download on the internet for Mac OSX, Windows, or Linux, we recommend Filezilla. It can be downloaded free of charge from http://www.filezilla-project (updated 19 days ago)
Related Help Content
Intro to FTP
There are many ways that you can transfer files and folder to and from your hosting account. We highly recommend using an FTP (File Transfer Protocol) program to quickly upload and download files. We (updated 1172 days ago)
Create an FTP Account
How do I create a FTP account, and quickly set it up in my client? (updated 1339 days ago)
FTP Client Recommendations
Where Can I Obtain an FTP Client? (updated 1183 days ago)
Setup Sitelock FTP
This article explains how to setup a SiteLock FTP account. (updated 156 days ago)
FTP - Uploading the website
How do I upload my web site? (updated 10 days ago)
How to Configure CuteFTP
This article will instruct you on configuring a connection using the FTP client, CuteFTP. (updated 967 days ago)
How to Configure SmartFTP
This article will instruct you on configuring a connection using the FTP client, SmartFTP. (updated 967 days ago)
FTP Setup Dreamweaver CS5
Connecting and uploading via FTP with Dreamweaver CS5 (updated 220 days ago)