Bluehost Web Hosting Help
FTP Setup Using Filezilla
I would like to use FileZilla how do I go about the setting it up and connecting to my site?
- A Bluehost hosting service.
If you do not yet have a Bluehost hosting account please signup here.
- A computer running Microsoft Windows, Linux, or Mac OS X 10.5 or newer.
- The free FTP software, which you can download by clicking FileZilla.
After you have downloaded and installed FileZilla, double click the icon to launch the program.
- Open the Site Manager, from the File menu.
- Click the New Site button.
- Enter the setup information for your FTP account.
- Type in the New FTP Site Name: (Can use any name like "My website")
- Host: Enter your Domain Name. e.g. example.com
- Port: 21
- Protocol:: FTP - File Transfer Protocol
- Encryption: Use plain FTP
- Logon type: Normal
- User:: This is your username. e.g. examplec or firstname.lastname@example.org
If you do not have this information, you can login to cPanel and view it on the left hand side. (It is based on the first 8 characters of your domain). If you created this username, use email@example.com.
- Password: This is your cPanel password or the password specified when the FTP account was created .
- Click the OK button.
- Click Edit
- Select Settings
- Click Passive Mode, which is found underneath Connection in the left hand window. In the Passive mode settings window (right side), click the Use the server's external IP address instead if it is currently not marked. If you connect to our server and get disconnected quickly, this is the solution.
When the above steps are complete, click 'Connect' to connect to the server. (You will automatically be connected in your own folder).
Due to different firewalls, some people experience problems with FTP. To fix this problem, try:
Recommended Help Content
FTP Setup Using Dreamweaver 8
How do I setup Dreamweaver 8 for FTP? (updated 1065 days ago)
FTP Setup Using CuteFTP Home Version 8.2
How do I setup CuteFTP 8.2 for FTP? (updated 1065 days ago)
Among the various free FTP programs available to download on the internet for Mac OSX, Windows, or Linux, we recommend Filezilla. It can be downloaded free of charge from http://www.filezilla-project (updated 30 days ago)
Related Help Content
Intro to FTP
There are many ways that you can transfer files and folder to and from your hosting account. We highly recommend using an FTP (File Transfer Protocol) program to quickly upload and download files. We (updated 1034 days ago)
Create an FTP Account
How do I create a FTP account, and quickly set it up in my client? (updated 1201 days ago)
FTP Client Recommendations
Where Can I Obtain an FTP Client? (updated 1045 days ago)
Setup Sitelock FTP
This article explains how to setup a SiteLock FTP account. (updated 18 days ago)
FTP - Uploading the website
How do I upload my web site? (updated 460 days ago)
How to Configure CuteFTP
This article will instruct you on configuring a connection using the FTP client, CuteFTP. (updated 829 days ago)
How to Configure SmartFTP
This article will instruct you on configuring a connection using the FTP client, SmartFTP. (updated 829 days ago)
FTP Setup Dreamweaver CS5
Connecting and uploading via FTP with Dreamweaver CS5 (updated 82 days ago)