Bluehost Web Hosting Help
VPS or Dedicated Hosting - Installing an SSL Certificate for a Website
This article will explain how to install an SSL certificate on a Dedicated or VPS server.
The General Steps Involved in installing an SSL
Click on any of the steps to jump to that point in the walkthrough and see more details.
Logging Into The WHM
To setup an SSL certificate you will need to be able to login to WHM on your server. This requires knowing the root password for your server. If you don't know the root password or haven't set one up please see https://my.BlueHost.com/hosting/help/whm-login#root-password.
- Login to the WHM by going to yourdomain.com/whm in a browser. Replace yourdomain.com with your domain.
- Once you get to the login page enter your username and password.
- Username will be root.
- Password will be the root password for your server. If you don't know the root password or haven't set one up please see https://my.BlueHost.com/hosting/help/whm-login#root-password.
- If this is your first time logging into the WHM you may see a page titled "Feature Showcase". Click on Exit to WHM at the bottom of the page.
Access The Install SSL Tool
Once you are logged into the WHM you need to use the SSL installer to upload and activate a certificate on the domain. The easiest way to find it is through the WHM search tool.
- In the WHM Search box on the left side enter "Install an SSL Certificate"
- Click on the "Install an SSL Certificate on a Domain" link that appears.
You should now be at the Install an SSL Certificate on a Domain page in the WHM.
Install The SSL
When you purchased the SSL certificate you should have received a files for your certificate, key and Certificate Authority bundle. If you do not have these files you will need to get them from company you purchased the certificate from.
- On the "Install an SSL Certificate on a Domain" page enter your domain your certificate was issued for into the "Domain:" box.
- Paste the Certificate, Key and Certifcate Authority Bundle into their respective boxes.
- Click the Install button at the bottom.
The SSL certificate should be installed and you can begin using it.
Recommended Help Content
How to move an SSL certificate to another server?
What files do you need to make your SSL certificate work on another account/server? (updated 1362 days ago)
VPS or Dedicated Hosting - Manage Login SSL Certificates
How to manage the SSL used for cPanel login through the WHM (updated 789 days ago)
SSL Installation of 3rd Party Certificate
I need to have an SSL 3rd Party Certificate installed for my domain. (updated 19 days ago)
Related Help Content
Purchasing or Renewing SSL certificates
How to renew an existing SSL certificate--or purchase a new one, within your cPanel (updated 249 days ago)
VPS or Dedicated Hosting - Assigning Dedicated IPs
How to assign a dedicated IP to a domain on a dedicated server. (updated 659 days ago)
How to use the Free Shared SSL Certificate
How do I use the free shared SSL Certificate? (updated 160 days ago)
VPS or Dedicated Hosting - Installing Java
How to install Java in a dedicated server. (updated 791 days ago)
VPS or Dedicated Hosting - Installing Git
This is a tutorial on how to install Git onto the server. (updated 838 days ago)
VPS or Dedicated Hosting - Reseller Account Transfers
To help with transferring of accounts from other servers to your account. (updated 839 days ago)
Installing the WildCard SSL on a Reseller account
How to install the provided WildCard SSL on a reseller account (updated 319 days ago)
VPS or Dedicated Hosting - Resetting the SSL certificates for your server's services
How to reset the SSL certificates for your servers services (updated 565 days ago)