Bluehost Web Hosting Help
How to manage files with CuteFTP
Once connected to a server via CuteFTP, it is important to understand the ways in which one can manage files within this environment. If you are looking for different instructions regarding CuteFTP, please refer to the following articles:
- Obtaining and Installing CuteFTP
- How to Configure CuteFTP
- How to Transfer Files with CuteFTP
Navigating the Files
It is important to become familiarized with the layout of CuteFTP
- At the top of CuteFTP is a toolbar for quick access to most functions. Hovering over an icon for a moment will show a small description of that tool.
- Below the tool bar is the connection bar which asks for the connection details (host, username, password, port).
- Below the connection bar are three sections:
- The left section has two tabs. The 'Local Drives' tab allows access to the files and folders of your local machine (the PC currently running CuteFTP) and the 'Site Manager' tab which allows easy organization and management of various FTP connections, so they may easily be found and connected to at a future time.
- The right section will be blank when you first start CuteFTP, but will allow access to the files and folders of your remote connections. If there are multiple connections there will be a tab for each connection made.
- The far bottom section of CuteFTP has two tabs. The 'Queue Window' shows status information for any transfer in progress. The 'Log Window' shows log information on all processes that have been completed and whether those processes were completed successfully or not.
Note: Folders are opened by double clicking on them or right clicking on the target folder and selecting 'open'.
Renaming a File or Folder
To rename a file or folder:
- Right click on the item.
- Select 'Rename' from the drop down menu.
- Edit the name of the file or folder.
- Additionally, a file or folder can be renamed using the 'Rename' tool in the toolbar.
Adding a Folder
To add a folder:
- Right click on any empty space and select 'New Folder'.
- Name the folder in the pop up window and click OK.
Moving Files and Folders
To move any file or folder:
- Left click on the item then drag it into the appropriate location.
- A file or folder can be moved from one section to another or within the same section.
- If moving files from the local section to the remote section, it will copy the files rather than move them. This will be covered in greater detail in the next section, Transfer Files.
- Several items may be moved/transferred by highlighting them and then clicking and dragging the highlighted selections to the appropriate location.
Recommended Help Content
How to Transfer Files with CuteFTP
This article will instruct you on transferring files to your account through the FTP client, CuteFTP.
How to Configure CuteFTP
This article will instruct you on configuring a connection using the FTP client, CuteFTP.
Obtaining and Installing CuteFTP
This article will instruct you on obtaining and installing the FTP client, CuteFTP.
Related Help Content
How do I use a secure FTP connection?
Managing Backups with SFTP
How to Download or Delete Server Backups with SFTP
FTP Client Recommendations
I want to be able to provide an FTP link to my site that does not use Unlimited FTP or Anonymous FTP.
Intro to FTP
There are many ways that you can transfer files and folder to and from your hosting account. We highly recommend using an FTP (File Transfer Protocol) program to quickly upload and download files. We
How To Setup FTP Using Filezilla
I would like to use FileZilla how do I go about the setting it up and connecting to my site?
How To Create and Edit An FTP Account
How to use use the FTP Account tool to create additional FTP Accounts. This is useful for granting FTP access to your account without giving anyone your cPanel password.
FTP Setup on Dreamweaver CC 2014
This article explains how to publish your site through FTP on Dreamweaver 2014
How to Add and Manage Clients with Maestro
You can add your clients to your Maestro dashboard to manage all of your clients and their websites from one dashboard. This article explains how to add, remove, and make changes to clients in your dashboard.