Bluehost Web Hosting Help
Navigating the File Manager
This article is part of our File Manager tutorial series. Please see the links below if you are looking for a different explanation of the File Manager.
- Accessing the File Manager
- Navigating the File Manager
- Uploading Files
- Creating, Removing, and Edtiting Files
- Copying and Moving Files
- Compressing Files into an Archive (GZip)
- Extracting Files from an Archive
If you are not sure how to find the File Manager, please reference the Accessing the File Manager article. Once you are in the File Manager, you will need to know the different parts of the File Manager and how to navigate it. We have separated the File Manager into three sections: the Toolbar, the Directory Listing, and the File Listing.
The sections of the the File Manager are as followed:
- Section 1 (Red)- This top bar is the Toolbar. You will find all of the basic functions for managing files here.
- Section 2 (Blue) - This left section is the Directory Listing. Here you will find a listing of all the directories (folders) present on your account. Below you will find a list of actions you can perform in this section.
- Section 3 (Green) - This right section is the File Listing. Here you will find a listing of all the files of whichever folder is currently selected. Below you will find a list of actions you can perform in this section.
To Enter a Folder:
- Double click the blue folder icon in the File Listing.
- Alternatively, click on the yellow folder icon in the Directory Listing.
Either way will display the contents of that folder in the File Listing.
To Leave a Folder:
- At the top of the File Listing section, click the Up One Level link, and you will be placed in the preceeding or parent folder of the one you are currently in.
- Alternatively, click on the appropraite folder you want to switch to from the Directory Listing.
Recommended Help Content
File Manager - Extracting Files from an Archive
This article will walk you through extracting compressed files using the File Manager. (updated 432 days ago)
File Manager - Copying and Moving Files
This article will walk you through copying and moving files using the File Manager. (updated 447 days ago)
File Manager Overview - Accessing the File Manager
This article will give a basic overview of the File Manager and explain how to access it. (updated 447 days ago)
Related Help Content
File Manager - Creating, Removing, and Editing Files
This article will walk you through creating, removing, and editing files with the file manager. (updated 447 days ago)
File Manager - Uploading Files
This article will walk you through uploading files using the File Manager (updated 440 days ago)
How many files are on my account?
Learn how to see how many files you have on your account using the File Count tool in the cPanel. (updated 193 days ago)
Process Manager Overview
What is the Process Manager? How do I use the Process Manager? Why can I get to my cPanel but homepage does not display? (updated 1623 days ago)
File Manager - Compressing Files into an Archive (GZip)
This article will explain how to utilize GZip through the file manager. (updated 433 days ago)
Intro to FTP
There are many ways that you can transfer files and folder to and from your hosting account. We highly recommend using an FTP (File Transfer Protocol) program to quickly upload and download files. We (updated 637 days ago)
Setting file and user permissions
Short tutorial on how to set file and user Permissions in cPanel. (updated 640 days ago)
cPanel Image Manager
How do I view Thumbnails of images in a directory? How do I scale images? How do I convert an image to a jpg, gif, bmp, or png? (updated 1623 days ago)