Bluehost Web Hosting Help
File Manager - How to Compress Files into an Archive GZip
This article is part of our File Manager tutorial series. Please see the links below if you are looking for a different explanation of the File Manager.
- Accessing the File Manager
- Navigating the File Manager
- Uploading Files
- Creating, Removing, and Editing Files
- Copying and Moving Files
- Compressing Files into an Archive (GZip)
- Extracting Files from an Archive
A compressed file (archive) is a file which contains several other files or folders which have been written in a format that takes up less space. This is helpful when you want to back files or folders up to a local machine. GZip is an application for compressing files on Linux systems. GZip is already implemented on our servers and will allow you to compress and extract files from the file manager. This is not the same as mod_gzip.
Compressing Files and Folders into an Archive using GZip
- Log in to your Bluehost cPanel account.
- Locate the File Manager tool under the "Files" category.
Note: If using the Bluerock interface, click the Advanced tab to find the "Files" category.
- Navigate to the folder which contains the files or folders you want to compress.
- Select the files or folders you want to compress (Hold control to select multiple items or hold shift to select a group of items).
- With the appropriate files and folders selected, click the Compress icon from the top Toolbar. Alternatively, you can right click on the selected files and click on Compress from the drop down menu as pictured below.
- A dialogue box will appear asking which compress type you prefer. After choosing your preferred compression, click the Compress File(s) button.We recommend using GZip as it has the best data compression ratio and compression times.
You will now have a GZip(.gz), Zip(.zip), or Bzip2(.bz2) compressed file of the items you selected. For more information on how to extract this or other compressed files, please see our Extracting Files from an Archive article.
Recommended Help Content
Compress Decompress Files via CLI
Explains how to compress/decompress files through CLI(Command-Line Interface).
File Manager - How to Extract Files from an Archive
This article will walk you through extracting compressed files using the File Manager.
File Manager - How to Upload Files
This article will walk you through uploading files using the File Manager
Related Help Content
Intro to FTP
There are many ways that you can transfer files and folder to and from your hosting account. We highly recommend using an FTP (File Transfer Protocol) program to quickly upload and download files. We
File Manager - How to Copy and Move Files
This article will walk you through copying and moving files using the File Manager.
IP Deny Manager Tool
This article will explain how to utilize the IP Deny Manager tool in cPanel.
File Manager - How to Create, Remove, and Edit Files
This article will walk you through creating, removing, and editing files with the file manager.
Accessing the File Manager
This article will give a basic overview of the File Manager and explain how to access it.
Navigating the File Manager
This article will walk you through navigating the File Manager.
How To Edit Website Files With The File Manager - File Manager Guide
I am trying to edit my web page and I have no idea how to? I need to know how to go into the site and fix it. My webpage has a error in the first paragraph. I don't know how to fix it? Can you help?
Process Manager Overview
What is the Process Manager? How do I use the Process Manager? Why can I get to my cPanel but homepage does not display?