Bluehost Web Hosting Help
How Do I Cancel My Hosting Account
Your hosting account with Bluehost may be canceled at any time for a pro-rated refund.
- Canceling Your Hosting Account
- Receiving Your Refund Via Credit Card
- Receiving Your Refund Via PayPal
Canceling Your Hosting Account
- That the email address listed on the Profile page of your Bluehost is active.
- That you know the last four characters of your Bluehost Control Panel password.
If you have forgotten your password, you can send a password reset email to the email address we have on file by clicking the Forgot Password link on the Account Login page.
After contacting us you will be sent an email with a cancellation link. The link will take you to a form that will ask you to login to your Bluehost Control Panel and confirm the following information:
- Confirm that you have all necessary backups of your emails, files, and databases, and that the Billing Department can proceed with canceling and deleting all emails, files, and databases associated with your account from our servers.
- Confirm that you understand DNS Zone changes will no longer be available, and to receive those services you will need to point your name servers to another provider or renew your hosting.
- Confirm that you understand canceling your hosting account will delete all websites and website files for all domains on your account.
- Confirm your first and last name.
- Specify the desired renewal settings for the domain names you have registered with us. Please note that Auto-Renew is the default setting for all domains on your account, and that domain registrations and web hosting are separate products.
- Specify the renewal settings for any applicable addon products.
- Specify your reason for leaving, and a brief comment about your selection.
All fields must be filled out or have an option selected. Please select the closest reason for cancellation if the exact reason is not preset. If you do not wish to comment on why you are canceling your account, please type "N/A" in the "Please tell us more about why you are leaving" field.
Receiving Your Refund Via Credit Card
Bluehost processes all refunds on or by the next business day after the hosting account has been canceled. It is then up to your financial institution to process the refund and return it to you. It can take up to 10 business days for the refund to show in your account. If it has been more than 10 business days and you still have not received your refund, please contact your financial institution as they may have the funds on hold for you.
Bluehost is required to send all refunds to the financial account the funds were charged from. In the event that you no longer have closed a credit card or other financial account, Bluehost is still required to make an attempt to refund that account. When the financial institution receives the funds, it will be up to them to decide what to do with the funds. Generally, they will do one of the following:
- If you still have an account with them, but have a new credit card number, they will forward the refund to your open account.
- They will place a hold on the funds and wait for you to contact them about processing the refund.
- They will reject the refund and return the funds to Bluehost, at which point we will issue a refund by check.
Refunds issued via check will be mailed to the contact address we have on file. Please make sure the address is up to date. Also note that refunds issued via check may 2-3 weeks to arrive.
Receiving Your Refund Via PayPal
- Refunds issued via PayPal will be issued to the PayPal account used to make the purchase.
- Refunds issued via PayPal usually arrive within 24 hours
Recommended Help Content
Am I stuck in a long term contract with you if I sign up for a hosting account?
Am I stuck in a long term contract with Bluehost if I sign up for a hosting account? What if I cancel early? (updated 74 days ago)
Use affiliate credit to purchase/renew hosting/domains
I would like to pay my hosting renewal fees with affiliate commissions that are owed to me. (updated 1414 days ago)
How To Update Your Credit Card
A step-by-step guide to updating your credit card information. (updated 74 days ago)
Related Help Content
How Do I Renew My Hosting Account
A step-by-step guide to renewing your hosting account. (updated 118 days ago)
Domain Registration Renewal vs Hosting Renewal
I missed my renewal date for hosting or my account expired what happens now? (updated 942 days ago)
Payment Types Accepted
Do you accept payment other than credit cards or Paypal? (updated 118 days ago)
How to renew your cPanel Hosting Account
This tutorial will show you how to renew your Hosting Account, from within the cPanel (updated 1620 days ago)
Changing Hosting Term
How do I change my contract length? (updated 67 days ago)
Domain Registration versus Hosting
What is the difference between a domain and web hosting? (updated 1084 days ago)
VPS or Dedicated Hosting - Reseller Account Transfers
To help with transferring of accounts from other servers to your account. (updated 747 days ago)
How to create an FTP Account
How to use use the FTP Account tool to create additional FTP Accounts. This is useful for granting FTP access to your account without giving anyone your cPanel password. (updated 119 days ago)