Bluehost Web Hosting Help
How to Transfer a Domain
Please understand that it is not required to transfer your domain's registration to Bluehost. You may host any domain with us by simply contacting your current registrar and pointing the name servers to us.
Hosting Domain Names with Bluehost
It is NOT required to transfer your domain's registration to the Bluehost registrar. You may host any domain with us by simply contacting your current registrar and pointing the name servers to us. Pointing the name servers to us will NOT automatically transfer the domain's registration.
The Bluehost nameservers are:
- Primary Server Hostname:
- Secondary Server Hostname:
Once you have made this change, allow 24-48 hours for the changes to update across DNS resolvers worldwide, and your domain will be pointed to us.
We highly recommend pointing the name servers to us before initiating a registration transfer. Transfers can take 3-10 days to complete; during this time the name servers cannot be modified. If you point the name servers to us before starting a transfer, your domain will be pointed to us during the duration of the transfer and your site will show what is on Bluehost's servers.
How To Transfer The Domain Registration To Bluehost
Before starting the transfer
- Contact the current registrar (where you bought the domain) to unlock the domain, pause or disable any sort of domain privacy or protection, and retrieve the EPP or Authorization code.
- Make sure the whois contact information is correct as we will be sending a verification code to the email address listed. If domain privacy is "on" this will not work, please turn off privacy before this step.
To start the transfer
- Log into your Bluehost Control Panel and click the Domains tab at top of the page.
- Select the domain you wish to transfer from the list.
- To the right of the domain, under the "Main" sub-tab, click on the link "Transfer this domain to your account"
- Read the information presented and provide the EPP code then click continue.
- We will now send an email containing a second verification code to the administrator email address. If you do not have access to this email address, contact the current registrar and update the WHOIS contact information.
- Enter the second verification code and click continue.
- Select the options you require for nameservers, Autorenewal, Contact Information, Privacy and agree to the Terms of Service. Click "Add transfer to shoppingcart"
- Complete the checkout process
Note: These are a few points to keep in mind when transferring your domain name registration.
- ICANN policy does not allow a domain name to be transferred from a registrar within 60 days of the date or registration or renewal.
- The transfer process takes 3-10 days once initiated. Ensure the domain name will not expire in this time frame to avoid potential problems with the transfer. If recently renewed, make sure it is at least 60 days after the renewal date to ensure you do not lose the additional time added with the current registrar.
- When transferring a domain to us, ICANN requires an additional year is added to the domain's current expiration date. The cost for this is $15.99 per domain. If your account has an available "Free Domain" credit, it will automatically be applied during the checkout process.
- If you would like to start hosting the domain with us within 24-48 hours rather than waiting to complete registry transfer, contact the current registrar before starting the transfer and modify the DNS to ns1.BlueHost.com and ns2.BlueHost.com. Once the transfer is initiated, no change to the DNS can be made until the transfer is either canceled or has completed.
Recommended Help Content
Transferring away from Bluehost
How to transfer a domain name that is registered with us to another registrar.
Registration Transfer Step 2/4
I am trying to transfer a domain(s) from my current registrar to bluehost. When I fill out the transfer form I cannot get beyond step 2/4. There does not seem to be any "submit" or "next"
Domain Registry Transfer to Bluehost
What if I do not want to or cannot transfer my registration to Bluehost?
Related Help Content
How to Change your Name Servers
Transfer Domain Registration: When a domain registration is transferred to us, we must register the domain name for a minimum of one (1) year. We only accept registrations for the .com, .net, .org, .
Why did my domain transfer fail?
Why does a domain transfer fail and what can you do about it.
Domain Registry Transfer to Another Person
I have sold, or transfered ownership of my domain, how do i give the domain to the new owner?
Domain Registration Renewal vs Hosting Renewal
I missed my renewal date for hosting or my account expired what happens now?
Icelandic Domains Cannot Point Nameservers to BlueHost.com
ISNIC is giving me the following error about my domain: Unable to transfer zone DOMAIN.IS from ns1.BlueHost.com (22.214.171.124) Unable to transfer zone DOMAIN.IS from ns2.
EPP (Auth) Code
I need an EPP authorization code to transfer my domain to another registrar.
How Do I Renew My Domain Name Registration
A step-by-step guide to renewing your domain name registration.
You need two things to have a successful website and professional email: a domain registration and a hosting account.