Bluehost Web Hosting Help
SSH Access - Generating a Public/Private Key
Generating the Key
- Login to your Bluehost Control Panel
- Choose SSH / Shell Access, in the Security section.
- Click Manage SSH Keys
- Choose to Generate a new Key
- Enter a new Key password.
- Choose DSA or RSA for the type.
It is recommend that you choose RSA.
- Choose a Key size, it is recommend to use 2048 or higher.
- Click Generate Key
- Click the Go Back button.
Authorize the KeyAuthorizing the key will add the public key to the authorized_keys file.
- Click Manage Authorization
- Click the Authorize button for your newly created key.
- Click Go Back to return to the main page.
Private KeyThe private key needs to be stored on your local computer.
- To the right of your private key, click View/Download.
- Click the Download Key button to download the private key.
- If on Linux or Mac OS copy the id_dsa file to your ~/.ssh folder.
- On Windows you will want to move it some place safe.
Using your new key
WindowsFor Windows please see Using SSH on Windows (PuTTY)
Linux or Mac OS
- Open your Terminal
- Enter the following command
- If you created a passphrase you might see something like the following
Enter passphrase for key '~/.ssh/id_dsa':
Recommended Help Content
Using SSH on Windows PuTTY
How do I create a Public/Private Key Pair in cPanel for use via SSH?
Using SSH to View the Mail Queue on Dedicated or VPS
This article will explain how to view the outgoing email queue or exim queue in SSH.
Generate a GPG/PGP key using SSH
I would like to know how to create a new gpg key using SSH access.
Related Help Content
Is SSH/Shell access enabled by default?
Check Backup Dates Using SSH on Dedi/VPS
This article will explain how to check the dates of your backups using SSH.
SSH/Shell access for Resold account(s)?
How to enable/turn on SSH access for Resold accounts
VPS or Dedicated Hosting - Enabling Sudo Access
How to quickly grant sudo access from the control panel
Public IP Address and How To Find it
What is a Public IP Address?
What is SSH and how do I setup secure connections.
Access Mail Logs on Dedicated or VPS Servers
This article will explain how to view the email logs on a Dedicated or VPS server. This may be usefull if you are experiencing trouble with your email.
Importing Databases via Command Line SSH
This article will instruct you how to import a database from the command line (SSH).