Bluehost Web Hosting Help
Ruby on Rails Setup
- Create your Rails Application
- Access Your RoR Application
- Setup the .htaccess file
- Configure your .bashrc
Create your Rails Application
- Install whatever version of rails you want (provided it's compatible with ruby 1.9.3) as a local user: gem install rails --no-rdoc --no-ri
Create a new Rails application.
rails new ~/APPNAME -d mysql
gem install rails -v 3.0.11 --no-rdoc --no-ri) You may also use Rails v. 2.x for your app using the following syntax
Access Your RoR ApplicationIf you are using a subdomain you can use the following steps to create the subdomain.
- Log into your bluehost control panel
- Select 'Subdomains' from the 'Domains' section
- In the small form that loads, type in the name of your subdomain (example 'APPNAME')
- From the drop down box select which domain you want to create that subdomain on.
- Make sure the "Document Root" box points to the folder you want the subdomain to be tied to. In this case, we want it to point to the public_html/APPNAME folder that we just created.
ln -s ~/APPNAME/public ~/public_html/APPNAME
Setup the .htaccess fileYou'll need this in public folder for the app which sets everything up including where to look for user-installed gems. To add this simply run the following commands:
- Press i to edit the file.
- Paste in the code from below.
- Enter :wq
- Press Enter to save the changes.
#Set this to whatever environment you'll be running in
SetEnv GEM_HOME /home1/examplec/ruby/gems
Configure your .bashrcYou will need to add the following to your ~/.bashrc file.
Recommended Help Content
Ruby on Rails, Gems
What Ruby on Rails version and Gems are installed? (updated 504 days ago)
Ruby on Rails 404 Errors
My Ruby on Rails installation keeps displaying a '404 Not Found' error. (updated 1045 days ago)
Ruby on Rails application generates a 500 - Premature end of script error
When I attempt to execute my Ruby on Rails application I receive "500- Premature end of script." (updated 1083 days ago)
Related Help Content
Ruby on Rails: How-to install Redmine
How to install Redmine a Ruby on Rails application (updated 492 days ago)
Errors when running Generator in Ruby
When I execute the 'Generate' command in my first Rails project, I get numerous errors and the controller is not built. (updated 505 days ago)
Ruby Gems Installation
How do I install my own Ruby Gems? (updated 504 days ago)
Rails Troubleshooting! (updated 502 days ago)
Path to Ruby
What is the path to Ruby? (updated 1603 days ago)
FTP Setup Using CuteFTP Home Version 8.2
How do I setup CuteFTP 8.2 for FTP? (updated 1009 days ago)
VPS or Dedicated - Installing and using RoR with Passenger
This article will explain how to use RoR through passenger on a VPS or Dedicated hosting account (updated 492 days ago)
FTP Setup Using Dreamweaver 8
How do I setup Dreamweaver 8 for FTP? (updated 1009 days ago)