Bluehost Web Hosting Help
Domain Name FAQ
- How do I renew my domains?
- What happens if I don't renew my domains?
- My domain is in "Redemption." What does that mean?
- There are errors in my whois info. What do I do?
- What does "auto-renew" mean. How do I change it?
- My auto-renew failed. What do I do?
- My credit card is invalid. How do I update it?
- I am getting renewal notices for my domains at different email addresses.
How do I renew my domains?
- Login to your account.
- Choose the Domains option from the menu. Select all the domains you would like to renew.
- Select the Renewal Options tab.
- Select Renew Now and click Submit. This will take you to confirm your choices and process your payment.
What happens if I don't renew my domains?
There are several steps after your domain expires to safeguard you from losing any domains you want to keep.
- Approximately 60 days prior to the domain expiration date, we begin sending reminders to you by email to the email address you listed with us. You will be sent at least two reminders prior to the expiration date and one reminder within five days after expiration.
- If we are unable to secure payment on or before the domain renewal date, your domain name will expire.
- Upon expiration, your domain name will be deactivated and replaced with a parking page indicating the domain name has expired. Other services you have associated with the domain name may no longer function.
- if the domain is not renewed, it is considered abandoned. We may exercise the right to auction, sell, delete or dispose of the name at any time.
- As early as 28 days after expiration, your domain may enter a redemption period and become available for purchase by a third party. If a third party purchases the domain name during this time, the domain name will not be available for you to renew.
- You may be able to restore it if you renew your domain within 28 DAYS of expiration. If not it will enter a redemption state. You may be able to redeem it from redemption state, if the domain is available, after 28 DAYS by paying redemption: $70.00 + $14.99 for each renewal year. If the domain is not redeemed or acquired within the redemption period, it will be submitted to the Registry to be deleted. During deletion the domain will be unrecoverable.
- The redemption period may last for 30 to 90 days, as determined by the registrar. We reserve the right to charge you a redemption fee of $70.00 (in additional to the renewal fee) in the event you are able to recover your domain name during this period.
- Once the redemption period ends, most domains are the registry are submitted for deletion, the registry may hold the domain name for a period of five days before releasing it again for general registration. NOTE: if a domain is not renewed, it is considered abandoned. The registrar may exercise its right to auction, sell, delete or dispose of the name at any time.
My domain is in "Redemption." What does that mean?
(see renewal process above) Once a domain goes into the redemption period it can be obtained by other parties. The redemption period may last 30 to 90 days after the initial renewal grace period. You may still be able to redeem the domain during this time. The fee for reactivating a domain in the Redemption Period is $70.00 + the normal renewal fee. Your domain can be redeemed by choosing to renew it from within the Domains section of the Control Panel. At the end of the Redemption Period, the domain(s) will go into a 5-day delete cycle at the end of which they will become available for anyone to register.
There are errors in my whois info. What do I do?
Login to your account. Select Domains from the menu. Select the domain you wish to modify. Select the Contacts tab. Update each contact to the correct information.
What does "auto-renew" mean. How do I change it?
As a security precaution all new registrations are set to auto-renew unless otherwise specified by the customer. This prevents domain names from accidentally expiring and you from losing control of your web site. We begin attempting to auto-renew domains 15 days prior to expiration. The auto renews are billed to the credit card associated to your account.
If you want your domain name to auto-renew, but the auto renew is turned off:
- login to your Bluehost Control Panel,
- Select Domains from the menu.
- Select the domain(s) you want to modify.
- Select Renewal Options, Auto-Renew, then click Save Changes.
If you want the domain name to auto-renew, but the credit card information is no longer valid:
- Login to your Bluehost Control Panel.
- Select Account from the menu.
- Then update your billing information from the Profile tab.
My auto-renew failed. What do I do?
Most likely your auto-renewal failed because the credit card information is no longer valid. To resolve this problem you will need to update your credit card information. You may need to manually renew your domain if it is less than 15-days before expiration. If your domain has already expired, you will need to manually renew your domain.
My credit card is invalid. How do I update it?
Login to your Bluehost Control Panel and select Account from the menu, then update your billing information from the Profile tab.
I am getting renewal notices for my domains at different email addresses.
This is most often caused by having multiple accounts with Bluehost and each account is set to use a different email addresses. To consolidate all of your renewal notices to arrive at one email be sure that your contact information is consistent for each account.
- Login to your Bluehost Control Panel.
- Select Account
- Ensure the the Email Address listed under Contacts is the same on all of your accounts.
Recommended Help Content
Domain Privacy for .us Domains
The WHOIS database shows my personal information for my .us domain names. How do I get privacy for the .us domain? (updated 238 days ago)
Bluehost WHOIS Privacy
What is Domain Privacy? (updated 631 days ago)
How do I enable or disable privacy for a .UK domain?
What is required to modify Domain Privacy for a .UK domain. (updated 118 days ago)
Related Help Content
How to Update Whois Domain Contact info
How to update Whois Domain Contact email (updated 1139 days ago)
2011 Timthumb Vulnerability FAQ
Frequently Asked Questions about TimThumb (updated 959 days ago)
Domain Registration Renewal vs Hosting Renewal
I missed my renewal date for hosting or my account expired what happens now? (updated 496 days ago)
Domain Registry Transfer to another person
I have sold, or transfered ownership of my domain, how do i give the domain to the new owner? (updated 127 days ago)
Images in BaseKit FAQ
Answers to the most frequently asked questions regarding images in Basekit. (updated 457 days ago)
Purchasing an Additional Domain
Learn how to purchase, or register, additional domain names. (updated 1173 days ago)
Domain Privacy for .CA Domains
How to enable or disable privacy for a .CA domain (updated 118 days ago)
Domain Registry Transfer to Bluehost
What if I do not want to or cannot transfer my registration to Bluehost? (updated 848 days ago)