Bluehost Web Hosting Help
This guide will show you how to assign a domain name to your hosting account.
Access the Domains tab
- Login to your Bluehost Control Panel.
- Click the Domains tab.
- Under Shortcuts click the link "Assign a domain to your Control Panel account".
Assigning the Domain Name
- Choose if you will assign a domain name already associated with your account, or assign a new domain name to your account.
- If you are assigning a new domain you must verify ownership of the domain name, there are three ways this can be done:
- Name Servers: Update your Name Servers to ns1.BlueHost.com and ns2.BlueHost.com.
- Create HTML Page: Create an HTML page on your existing host containing the text provided.
- EPP Code: This will not transfer your domain name, but use the EPP code to verify ownership.
Choose Addon vs. Parked
- Addon Domain: An Addon domain name will function as its own separate domain name or website.
- Parked Domain: A Parked domain name will load the same the site located in your public_html, your main domain name.
- If you selected Addon domain, choose the folder in your account that the domain will point to.
- Choose a Subdomain. The subdomain is only used by the Control Panel for the domain assignment. You will still access your domain name directly.
- Click the "Add Domain" button at the bottom of the page to assign the domain.
- Once complete you should see the domain is listed in the Domains tab.
Recommended Help Content
Parked Domains vs. Addon Domains
What is the difference between parked domains and addon domains?
Parked Domain Definition
What are parked domains?
FTP for Addon Domains and Subdomains
How do I FTP to my addon domains and subdomains without interfering with my main account.
Related Help Content
Restrict Access to Addon Domains through the Main Domain
I do not want to see addon.maindomain.com. How do I do that?
Restrict subdomain access to addon domains
How do I stop people from being able to use the addon domain as a subdomain of the primary domain?
How to Un-assign a Domain Name
This article will explain how to un-assign a domain name from your account.
How to Setup Multiple Domains Pointing to the Same Directory
Can I have multiple domains pointing to my site or to a directory on my site?
Creating Sub Domains
Can I make subdomains for my addon domains on the account?
What is an Addon domain?
What is an Addon domain?
Where to Upload Files for an Addon Domain
I have setup a pointed/addon domain, where should I upload the files for this domain?
Unable to Assign Domain via Domain Manager
I tried to assign a domain through the Domain Manager, but it does not allow me to. What is wrong?