Bluehost Web Hosting Help
A parked domain is a domain name that points to your main Web site on your account. For example, if example.com is your main Web site, you can purchase the example.net and assign it as a parked domain so that if a visitor were to type example.net they would see the same Web site as if they had typed example.com.
An add-on domain is a domain name which points to its own folder within public_html and appears as a separate website from your primary domain.
This allows you to have two separate Web sites on your account. You can have a example.com and then a example2.com as an add-on domain. The example2.com would be a completely separate Web site and visitors would not know that it is part of your example.com account.
Access the Domains tab
- Login to your Bluehost Control Panel.
- Click the Domains tab.
- Under Shortcuts click the link "Assign a domain to your Control Panel account".
Assigning the Domain Name
- Choose if you will assign a domain name already associated with your account, or assign a new domain name to your account.
If you are assigning a new domain you must verify ownership of the domain name, there are three ways this can be done:
- Name Servers: Update your Name Servers to ns1.BlueHost.com and ns2.BlueHost.com.
- Create HTML Page: Create an HTML page on your existing host containing the text provided.
- EPP Code: This will not transfer your domain name, but use the EPP code to verify ownership.
Choose Addon vs. Parked
- Addon Domain: An Addon domain name will function as its own separate domain name or website.
- Parked Domain: A Parked domain name will load the same the site located in your public_html, your main domain name.
- If you selected Addon domain, choose the folder in your account that the domain will point to.
Choose a Subdomain.
This subdomain is required for Control Panel. You will still be able to access your domain name directly.
- Click the "Add Domain" button at the bottom of the page to assign the domain.
- Once complete you should see the domain is listed in the Domains tab.
Recommended Help Content
Parked Domains vs. Addon Domains
What is the difference between parked domains and addon domains? (updated 1223 days ago)
Email Account Setup for Addon/Parked Domains
Can I setup an email account for Addon or Parked domains? (updated 1226 days ago)
Parked Domain Definition
What are parked domains? (updated 1226 days ago)
Related Help Content
Creating Sub Domains on an Add-on Domain
Can I make subdomains for my addon domains on the account? (updated 1223 days ago)
FTP for addon domains
How do I FTP to my addon domains without interfering with my main account. (updated 1224 days ago)
Restrict Access to Addon Domains through the Main Domain
I do not want to see addon.maindomain.com. How do I do that? (updated 1216 days ago)
Restrict subdomain access to addon domains
How do I stop people from being able to use the addon domain as a subdomain of the primary domain? (updated 1225 days ago)
How to Un-assign a Domain Name
This article will explain how to un-assign a domain name from your account. (updated 45 days ago)
Domain Registry Transfer to Bluehost
What if I do not want to or cannot transfer my registration to Bluehost? (updated 1437 days ago)
How to Setup Multiple Domains Pointing to the Same Directory
Can I have multiple domains pointing to my site or to a directory on my site? (updated 143 days ago)
What is an Addon domain?
What is an Addon domain? (updated 477 days ago)