Bluehost Web Hosting Help
Password Protect a folder on your website
This article explains how to add password protection to a folder on your website
Do not follow the steps below if you are using FrontPage extensions on your site. Doing so will break your extensions and will keep you from publishing from Frontpage. If you are creating your content in FrontPage, we recommend you use FrontPage to password protect folders.
Click on any of the tasks to jump to that point in the guide.
What You Need
You will need the following items to complete this walkthrough.
- The username and password to your Bluehost account.
- The path and name of the folder you want to protect with a password.
Access The Password Protect Directories Tool
- Login to your account at https://my.BlueHost.com
- Click the hosting tab at the top of your account.
- Scroll down to the Security group of icons and click on Password Protect Directories
- Click go on the popup that appears
Protecting a Directory
Navigate the folder structure and select the directory you want
NOTE: To open a folder and see its contents click the folder. To select a folder for password protection click on the folder name
- Choose the "Password protect this directory" option.
- Enter the name for the directory, this will appear whenever someone access the directory.
- Click save
Adding A User
- Under Create user, add a username in the the username box.
- In the password boxes type the password you would like the user to have
- Click the "Add or Modify The Authorized User" button
The folder you selected will now require a username and password to gain access. You can use the username and password you created to gain access.
Recommended Help Content
How do I password protect folders?
This tutorial will show you how you can password protect parts of your website by password protecting the folder(s) on your account.
Password Protected Folder Gives Continual Prompts
What should I do if I am having problems with multiple password prompts on my password protected directory?
Password Protect a File
How do I Password Protect a single file on my website?
Related Help Content
How to Reset Your Login Password
How do I change my Control Panel password?
Right-Click Image Protection
How can I protect the images on my website?
Resetting MySQL Database User and Password
This article will explain how to change the password for a database in the event that the original password is lost.
This article explains the different password types for your bluehost account.
FAQMasterFlex administrator password not working
When FAQMasterFlex is installed in a subdirectory on an account and the administrator tries to login to the faq_admin.php page, the program will not accept the administrator username and password.
Setting a Password for the Main MySQL User
I am prompted to set a new MySQL password. What does this mean and how do I change it?
I need to protect the /images folder to not show images when people type in the correct URL like www.mydomain.com/images/ to protect from prying eyes.
Change a MySQL Users Password
This article will explain how to change or reset the password for a MySQL user.