Bluehost Web Hosting Help
How Do I Cancel My Hosting Account?
This article covers what you need to know about canceling your hosting account and how to receive your refund.
Canceling Your Hosting Account
Your hosting account with Bluehost can be canceled for the first 30 days for a full refund. To cancel your hosting account, please contact the Bluehost Renewals Department by phone at 844-853-6296 to request a cancellation form. But, before you contact us, please ensure the following:
- You know the last four characters of your Bluehost main password.
- The email address listed in the Profile section of your account is current.
If you've forgotten your password, just click Forgot Password on the login screen and we'll send you an email with a link so you can update it.
After contacting us, you'll be sent an email with a cancellation link. The link will take you to a form that will ask you to log in to your Bluehost Control Panel and confirm the following:
- Confirm that you have all necessary backups of your emails, files, and databases, and that the Renewals Department can proceed with canceling and deleting all emails, files, and databases associated with your account from our servers.
- Confirm that you understand DNS Zone changes will no longer be available, and to receive those services you will need to point your name servers to another provider or renew your hosting.
- Confirm that you understand canceling your hosting account will delete all websites and website files for all domains on your account.
- Confirm your first and last name.
- Specify the desired renewal settings for the domain names you have registered with us. Please note that Auto-Renew is the default setting for all domains on your account, and that domain registrations and web hosting are separate products.
- Specify the renewal settings for any applicable addon products.
- Specify your reason for leaving, and a brief comment about your selection.
All fields must be filled out or have an option selected. Please select the closest reason for cancellation if the exact reason is not preset. If you do not wish to comment on why you are canceling your account, please type "N/A" in the "Please tell us more about why you are leaving" field.To complete the cancellation form click Submit at the bottom of the cancellation form. You'll see a success message if the form was submitted successfully.
Refund By Credit Card
Bluehost processes all refunds on or by the next business day after the hosting account has been canceled. It is then up to your financial institution to process the refund and return it to you. It can take up to 10 business days for the refund to show in your account. If it has been more than 10 business days and you still have not received your refund, please contact your financial institution as they may have the funds on hold for you.
Bluehost is required to send all refunds to the financial account the funds were charged from. In the event that you have closed a credit card or other financial account, we are still required to make an attempt to refund that account. When the financial institution receives the funds, it will be up to them to decide what to do with the funds. Generally, they will do one of the following:
- If you still have an account with them, but have a new credit card number, they will forward the refund to your open account.
- They will place a hold on the funds and wait for you to contact them about processing the refund.
- They will reject the refund and return the funds to Bluehost, at which point we will issue a refund by check.
Refunds issued by check will be mailed to the contact address we have on file. Please make sure the address is up to date. Also note that refunds issued by check may take 2-3 weeks to arrive.
Refund by PayPal
Refunds issued via PayPal will be issued to the PayPal account used to make the purchase and usually arrive within 24 hours.
Recommended Help Content
If you cancel within 30 days, you'll receive a full refund on your hosting service.
Update Your Credit Card
A step-by-step guide to updating your credit card information.
A step-by-step guide to renewing your hosting account.
Related Help Content
Payment Types Accepted
Do you accept payment other than credit cards or Paypal?
Domain vs Hosting
What is the difference between a domain and web hosting?
VPS or Dedicated Hosting - Reseller Account Transfers
To help with transferring of accounts from other servers to your account.
Change Length of Hosting Plan
How do I change my contract length?
How to create an FTP Account
How to use use the FTP Account tool to create additional FTP Accounts. This is useful for granting FTP access to your account without giving anyone your cPanel password.
Email Account Setup
This article explains the steps to set up an email account on your domain.
Email Account Setup
Learn how to create an email account associated with your domain name
New Account Timeline
How long will it take to get my new site online?